Free Home-to-School Transport
Does your child qualify?
The East Riding of Yorkshire Council must provide free home-to-school transport for children if they:
- are between 5 and 16 years old
- are attending their nearest suitable school
- live further away from the school than the statutory walking distance (2 miles for pupils under 8, and 3 miles for those aged 8 and above)
Children also qualify for free transport (no matter what distance they live from school) if they are unable to walk for any of the following reasons:
- they have SEN
- they have a disability or mobility problems
- there is no safe walking route
The local authority has to make travel arrangements where a child cannot reasonably be expected to walk, accompanied if necessary, in reasonable safety.
Children from Low-Income Families
A ‘low-income’ family is one whose children are entitled to free school meals or whose parents receive the maximum Working Tax Credit.
Secondary school pupils (11 to 16 years old) from low income families are entitled to free school transport if they go to:
- a suitable school between 2 and 6 miles away from their home address, as long as there are not 3 or more suitable schools nearer to home
- the nearest school chosen on the grounds of religion or belief (as long as the school is between 2 and 15 miles away from their home address)
Children with SEN or Disabilities
If your child has a statement of SEN and has transport requirements written in to it, the local authority must provide that transport.
For more information, contact ERYC Passenger Transport Services on 01482 395544.
As detailed above, the school works in partnership with East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS) to provide two bus services out of Bridlington to Driffield School and Sixth Form.
For more details of the timetable (or to apply for a pass), please contact the school office on 01377 253631 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report an incident on a school bus, please call Buswise on 08456 445949, or complete the online form at www.buswise.co.uk
Out of Catchment Students
Students who live outside Driffield School’s catchment area, but choose to come to Driffield School and Sixth Form, may be able to travel in on a school bus, provided there is a seat available (and on payment of the annual bus pass charge). For more information, contact ERYC’s Passenger Services Unit on 01482 395444.
Travel by Train
Some students from Bridlington opt to travel in to Driffield School & Sixth Form by train. Driffield Train Station is approximately 8 minutes walking distance from the school.